Friday, April 22, 2011

Karla Gerard Houses


As part of the second grader's "Community Art" unit we were making murals of rural, urban, and suburban houses. We looked at the fantastic contemporary folk artist Karla Gerard. Here is her website http://stores.ebay.com/art-by-karla-g Students created their houses using a collage with construction paper. To create the white borders the students mounted the pieces of the house on white paper and then cut them out leaving a 1/4 inch border. Then they decorated the colored pieces with various patterns and designs.

They also made really cool trees that I will need to remember to take pictures of!

1 comment:

  1. I really like this idea and the display! Has the artwork stayed in pretty good shape being hung close to the floor? I always cringe when I see my kids' artwork getting kind of beat up in the hallway.

    ReplyDelete